Pages

9.18.2008

All things new..


I have an announcement - I (Jen) started a new job this week! (nope, not as a mom, but hopefully that will be sometime soon (relative) too.) I now work for a large internet retail company in their marketing department. Pretty sweet, huh? Here are several reasons why I'm a fan:

  • I pretty much shop all day without actually buying anything. I pretend as if I'm a customer and think of how, as the customer, I would want the items sorted, categorized, organized, etc.. Then I make the changes, and waalahh... the changes appear the next day
  • The "stores" I've been assigned are Bedding, Health & Beauty, Baby, and Crafts & Hobbies. Doesn't that sound like so much fun? Deke thought it was a little too girly. He wanted me to do Sports. I had to remind him, that I am infact a girl, and those things are exciting to me. It's just a tad more interesting than, say, natural gas (here's looking at you BP).
  • Everyone has an 8 hour work day which includes an hour break for lunch, so technically you're really only working for 7 hours
  • You can listen to your ipod all day if wanted (if I had an Ipod, but still... )
  • I don't feel like people are looking over my back all day long
  • Employee discounts and free shipping always! Wahoo!
  • I actually feel like an important part of the company - Changes I make/do directly affect how millions of people globally are viewing the site. Scary, but at the same time exhilarating.
  • I can still wear jeans to work. Very important.
  • 2 words: Sample Sale. This actually happened my first day on the job. They bring in a ton of samples they've received and then mark them down atleast 90% off market price. If we want the item, we put our name on the list and if they draw your name for that particular item, it's yours.
  • Hot chocolate and Apple Cider in the kitchen. We're talking the real thing too - none of this sugar free stuff

So, yup. I'm already enjoying my job. In fact, I think I won't actually dread going back to work come every Monday morning. What a novel idea!

Here's to new beginnings!

4 comments:

Katie and Greg said...

Yeah! I'm so glad that you are happy and enjoying what you do! That is so important. It's a pretty tough task not to have the dreads on Monday morning. I hope things go well and I can't wait to hear more about it and how it evolves! Take care!

Andrea Dent said...

Um, this sounds like a dream job! Somehow you always get this (ok, not always...but mostly). And how about putting my name on some of those "samples"! LUCKY (say it just like Napoleon to get the full affect). Can't wait to head on over to your site and see what you do!

Katie and Greg said...

Greg here - congrats on officially leaving the Sunday night "dreds" behind!

mama nels said...

Yea Jen! It sounds like a wonderful job and I am so happy that you like it!!!