Pages

5.12.2010

catch up post #3 - we have a graduate!!


 It would be an understatement to say April 23, 2010 was one of the most monumental days of our marriage so far. That was the day Deek graduated from college. Most of you have no idea how awesome this is for us.  It's been a long road: changed majors, changed schools - some a few times :). He still has a few classes to finish up this summer, but still. The physical representation of the long road we had been on to get there was such a rewarding experience {For me just as much as him!} I don't know if I have ever felt so proud for him as I did that day. Deek is one of the smartest, most learned people I know, but formal schooling, in a classroom, with someone telling you exactly what you need to learn isn't his cup of tea. So, the fact that he stuck with something he didn't love but still felt strongly about was a huge accomplishment. 

I love that Deek is one of those people that's a learner for life {that totally sounds cheese}. But it's true. He's always going to the library to check out books about everything from personal finance to building pergolas and arbors to taking the best family pictures. We have an entire shelf in our bathroom closet dedicated to books that teach skills like this - and they're all his!  Deek has taught me what it means to truly be an educated person - to always be educating yourself and learning new things not just to pass a class, but to acquire new life skills, and really, just for the joy of learning new things. It's a legacy that I'm sure our kids will love and learn from themselves.

So yeah. Big day for the Jenerek household!  Congratulations Love!!! Isn' he such hunk? Yup. I luff him. I really do.

2 comments:

Katie and Greg said...

Your family picture is gorgeous. I'm super happy for Deek too! Whew - he's just about there!

Hale-O There said...

Congrats! I remember what a relief and happy time it was when Scott graduated. I'm really happy for you two (i think it involves the whole family to graduate;) Everyone looks great in your pictures and Rees's 8 month shots are darling. She does look like a bundle of joy. I want to come over just to get one of those kisses from her!