Pages

7.17.2009

the 4th

Does it get any better than the 4th of July? I think not. I've mentioned before that I'm not really an emotional type of person (most of the time :) ). There are very few things that can bring a lump to my throat, but when it comes to celebrating this great nation I'm a sucker. Call me a patriot. I'll be honest, I was having a hard time this year feeling very patriotic all. I don't agree with the direction our government is taking our country. I feel like they've lost site of what this country is all about and the principles it was founded on. Something tells me it's not in God they're putting they're trust.

Anyways, enough of my political agenda, like I was saying I was having a hard time getting in the spirit of the holiday this year. It wasn't until church on Sunday while singing "My Country Tis' of Thee" that I was able to really harbor those feelings of appreciation and love. (Do you ever wonder if anyone in our government ever sings those songs? I think they need to.) I felt such an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and love for the founders of this country and all those who have given up everything so that my family and I can live and worship freely. I love the principles and values the United States was founded on. I love that they made God an integral part of it's infrastructure. I feel blessed beyond measure to live here and enjoy the countless freedoms that I do. I only hope I can instill that love of country in my own kids!

Ok, moving on... The first part of the long weekend was spent at the cabin with the H clan concluding with one of my very favorite events of the whole year - The Oakley Rodeo!!! This makes the 3rd year in a row Deke and I have attended. I think we're well on our way to making this one of our favorite family traditions! While the cowboys had a bit of a rough go this year, we still had such a fantastic time. In my opinion, it doesn't get any more American than a home town rodeo. I love everything about them - the blaring patriotic country music, the little kids dressed in their cowboy digs, sitting in an outdoor stadium under the stars, the fireworks, and even the cheesy announcer dudes. I love it all. Take me to a rodeo, and I'm a happy gal.

Me and my man:


Part of the H clan:


My fabulous mom (in law):


Dad & Aliseea:


Goofing around on the ATV:


The actual day of the 4th we headed down the mountain to enjoy all the festivities. For me, it's not the 4th of July unless it includes ALL 3 of the following: Some type of water/swimming activity (whether it be at a lake or a pool), fireworks, and my dad's homemade ice cream. And this year didn't disappoint since our holiday included all of the mentioned requirements! I just love the 4th of July. God Bless America!

No comments: