Pages

12.31.2009

refreshing: to make like new, to give new life

aka, the new year.

As 2009 comes to a close I feel hopeful and excited and somewhat relieved. 2009 was a heavy year. By no means do I mean that it was all bad; everything, all the good, bad and ugly just added up to be really heavy for some reason. I'm excited to be able to set it down and pick up not only a new year, but a new decade. It kind of makes me feel like that new York Peppermint Patties commercial. (I tried to find a link to it, but didn't see anything. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then I guess tough luck.) Invigorated, rejuvinated and light.... ahhhhh. I can't wait.

Last night, Deke and I started talking about our top 9 favorite events of the 2000's, but then it just turned into a discussion about our top 9 favorite make-outs we had while we were dating each other. You can see where our priorities lie.  SO, in order to celebrate the new, I'm going to highlight some of my favorite things of the old. Of the last decade, that is. And I'll spare you the details of our make-outs.  You're welcome. When the first decade of this century began I was only 14. FOURTEEN. Yikes.

Anyway, in no particular order, here are 9 of my top favorite things that happened in the 2000's.

9 - High School



I know it's probably not so cool to admit you like, even loved, high school. But I totally did. Friends, football games, musicals, dating, proms, boys... I loved it all.

8 - BYU



I ventured off alone, not knowing anyone when I moved down, and it was the best thing I ever did. I had some of the greatest girls in the whole world for roommates both freshman and sophomore years. While I still am not (and probably never will be) a fan of Provo the city, I will always love and appreciate the education I received at BYU. I really couldn't have asked for a better higher education experience.

7 - Meeting Deek.


No explanation necessary

6 - Getting Married



A pretty big deal I hear. Kind of a defining day in one's life.

5 - Graduating from college



Proudly graduating with 120.5 credits. You need 120 in order to graduate...

4 - Europe/Russia



It was so surreal to see in person everything I had studied about in school right in front of me in living breathing color. To be able to experience it with all of my senses was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I honestly think about something from that trip atleast once a day. And to experience it with Deek made it all the more sweeter.

3 - Living in Hawaii



While it took the majority of our savings to do it, it was one of the best decisions we've ever made as a couple. I'm pretty sure both of our families thought we were nuts to just pick up and leave for a semester. Would you believe me if I told you that the suggestion to go was a direct answer to a prayer? Seriously. I was praying about something, and then about 2 minutes after I finished praying I had the distinct impression that we needed to move to Hawaii to address my concern. Seriously. It's not every day God tells you to pack your bags and move to a tropical paradise.

2 -  Being Pregnant.



And I'm not even joking. Minus the first 3 months of my pregnancy that will go under "The Top 9 Worst Things About the Last Decade."  Having a baby was something I really, really, desperately wanted. It was the most incredible experience to physically be a part of the creation of a life. I can honestly say I loved being pregnant, and in a way, was sad to see it end.

1 - Reese



Again, no explanation necessary.

I hope the next 10 turn out to be just as great as the last, and you know what? I have a feeling they certainly will...

Cheers and Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Katie and Greg said...

What a great top ten! This should be an awesome decade for you - crazy to think where we'll be when the next one starts . . .

Andi said...

Jenny...I can't believe you were *14* in 2000. That's nuts. And what else is crazy is that you've been essentially part of our family for more than half of the past decade! And that has been so fun.

No one has told me directly, but I think I understand that your grandpa passed away. I'm really, really sorry to hear that. The few times that I met him, I thought he was such a great man. We're praying for you guys.

mama nels said...

Jen - I LOVED this post. What an amazing decade you had!! Love your top ten!!!