Pages

5.27.2009

ugh.

This is me today.

Aren't I all sorts of beautiful?
I'm sick.

AGAIN!!!

Today I've been home with a bad sore throat and stuffy/runny nose. This is getting ridiculous. Seriously what is with that? I swear I've been sicker this year than ever before. I've boiled it down to 2 main reasons: 1) I'm pregnant and pregnant women are more susceptible to getting sick. and 2)My calling at church is to help in the nursery.

I'm pretty confident reason number 2 is the primary reason I've been sick so much. That place is like a petri dish. And reason number 1 doesn't go well with reason number 2. On Sunday we had a little boy bouncing around with one killer of a runny nose. I tried disinfecting my hands a bazillion times but apparently it didn't work because here I am with one killer of a runny nose, but not so much bouncing around.

I'll be honest, I've really loved my calling, and I absolutely LOVE the kids in our nursery, but I'm not a big fan of the idea of having the pregnant women as a nursery leader. The first trimester I was sicker than a dog thanks to morning sickness and wasn't much help in there. The second trimester hasn't been too bad (besides a few colds and flu's), and as I enter the 3rd trimester and am getting bigger and bigger and more and more tired it's getting harder and harder to pick up kids, hold them on my lap (we have some rambunctious kids), and chase around the random stray. I'm starting to feel like more of a hindrance than a help. I'm just sayin'...

It probably doesn't help the fact that I'm little bitter about being sick right now. I HATE being sick. I know we're supposed to put our very best into our callings and be willing to sacrifice, and yada yada yada... I get it. I really do. But please, I'm really tired of picking up sick bugs in there.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they randomly decided to release me... If not, it's going to be a loooong 3 months. Of which I will serve faithfully. :) But still.

Ok. I'm done with my venting. For all you know, I couldn't think of a better calling for the pregnant lady. I hope I'm never released. I LOVE the nursery. Along with all the bacteria....

3 comments:

Andrea Dent said...

And yes I will comment on this one too. Because A) I understand the whole nursery issue. I don't get why that is the case in most wards. B) I like that you used "yada yada yada" while bearing you testimony about church callings. Awesome.

mama nels said...

I know you hate being sick Jen - I am so sorry!! Nursery is not a place for sick children, especially with an expecting mom around! Funny thing is, the parents of the sick little boy probably had a calling they were trying to cover too and it becomes one big circle of everyone trying to cover their callings! At least I hope that is the only reason they would resort to bringing a sick little one to church. HOWEVER that being said - nursery is not a place for sick little ones and we have got to somehow change that pattern. I remember 30 years ago when they used to check each child before they came into nursery and if there were any sick, they were required to stay with one of their parents instead of in nursery. Annie - we need that foam stuff you use that protects you for three hours from germs and we need to coat you in it Jen!

Katie and Greg said...

I'm with Annie- the yada, yada, yada testimony was hilarious. I am SUPER sorry you are sick - especially because I think pregnancy is hard enough and being sick throughout just complicates things. With that in mind though, I do sympathize for the bishopric as nursery is truly one of the most difficult callings to keep filled. Just think of it this way - it's probably easier to serve the year before your baby comes than the year AFTER your baby comes because you definitely don't won't those germs then. Not to mention, nobody wants to get called to nursery when their 18-month old FINALLY is big enough that they can send them to nursery. Nursery is the first chance to start a childs independence, and Mom's hate it when they get called into nursery and it just keeps the attachment going. Hopefully the bishopric is feeling inspired and there is some special reason why you are in nursery. But as you get bigger - I definitely sympathize as it is hard enough to have kicks coming from within - let alone from kids without! Take care and maybe if you don't mind spending the money you can buy a supply of Airborne!